BivwAk! is the transformation hub for BNP Paribas. Its goal is to bring new services and skillsets at the crossroad of all BNP Paribas entities. It’s in this context that Dino learned about OctoPerf.
Dino is very passionate about testing because it's a constantly evolving space.
With new methodologies and tools emerging all the time.
We met Dino at the french testing event JFTL. After a short discussion it was clear that OctoPerf would be a very good fit at BivwAk!
To understand why OctoPerf fit so well into BivwAk!, we need a closer look at their use case. BivwAk! needs tools that can fit in many different contexts. The testers will be working part time on load testing and for several different projects. That makes scheduling very difficult since projects can start all at once on a very short notice.
That means Dino evaluated several other tools and ruled them out because:
- The installation procedure was complex with a lot of manual actions,
- The tool maintenance would consume a lot of the tester time,
- They lacked the flexibility to be used concurrently by any number of users.
The tool selection
To sum up, the performance testing tool had to be:
- Available to several teams at the same time,
- Accessible in a web browser, or with little to no installation,
- Compatible with the existing CI environment,
- Cost efficient in order to increase the testing capacity.
Other aspects were also considered, and we will get to them later, but this is at the core of what BivwAk! must be able to provide to all the teams working there.
For each of these requirements, OctoPerf had the perfect answer:
- Our licenses allow for any number of logins. There is no limit on concurrent tests. And load generators are automatically started from the cloud,
- Everything happens in a browser, even the recording. That means no installation required,
- OctoPerf is a UI built on top of a REST API. This allows to integrate in any context,
- Our pricing uses a single parameter: the max concurrent users. Everything else is unlimited. No need to buy test credits or split the license.
After a quick proof of concept, several testers started using OctoPerf on real projects. In the next sections we’ve listed what they liked the most when using OctoPerf.
The user interface helped on-board everyone very fast. They all found it very user-friendly. This is especially important because each one of them had to deal with several test projects at once. And when you switch context often it is very helpful to have a quick vision over what was created before: